Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Some tips for great Aussie music and movies

Australia produces an incredible number of amazing artists as well as some great films. Here are some I've got to know and like very much. Check them out!

Music

The Cat Empire (wikipediamyspace) - my absolutely favourite Aussie band. Very melodic mix of various styles. Check out my favourite song: Lonely Moon

Tijuana Cartel (myspace) - wonderful energetic band, they played in Freo twice and I had to go to both of the gigs.

The Beards (myspace) - hilarious band from Adelaide with phenomenal lead singer, all of their songs (2 albums by now) are exclusively only about beards.

Hilltop Hoods (wikipediamyspace) - brilliant hip-hoppers from Adelaide. Listen to my favourite song: The Nosebleed Section

The Beautiful Girls (wikipediamyspace) - mostly roots music. My favourite track: Learn Yourself

Rogerthat (wikipediamyspace) - I actually saw those guys back in Amsterdam. They are cool.

The Spooky Men's Chorale (wikipediamyspace) - I got to know them thanks to Andy, my current host here in Tassie. They're brilliant! Absolutely hilarious!

And as an extra, here's my favourite kiwi band:

Fat Freddy's Drop (wikipedia) - awesome band, check out my favourite tune: Ernie

Movies

The Castle (wikipediaimdb) - absolute must see! A classic amongst Aussie comedies.

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (wikipediaimdb) - great movie that takes place in Australian outback and Alice Springs (as well as Coober Pedy, for example)

Lantana (wikipediaimdb) - pretty good drama

Wolf Creek (wikipediaimdb) - scary as shit, especially for backpackers traveling in Oz...

Van Diemen's Land (wikipediaimdb) - quite interesting movie about an escape of a group of prisoners to a rain forrest in Tasmania. Involves cannibalism... Saw it in a cinema in Perth.

And two pieces I haven't seen yet but am keen on doing so as soon as possible:

Rabbit Proof Fence (wikipediaimdb)

Ten Canoes (wikipediaimdb)

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see that you're back on writing and that you're doing great !
    Can't resist to mention that you forgot the
    greatest Australian artist, Rob Sawyer ;-) You'll also like his mate Carus (http://www.myspace.com/carusthompson).
    Take care !
    Vincent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh shit, you're right! totally forgot him (probably cos nobody knows him over here, hehe)! So thanks for reminding me!

    Hope you're doing great, Vincent! drop me an email about your current adventures, please!

    ReplyDelete