Saturday, February 20, 2010

Fremantle and Perth

When I explained in the last blog post why I joined Chris on his journey to Fremantle, I omitted one very important reason. Once he found out that I'm able to build websites, he asked me if I could redesign and rebuild his. Of course I agreed (it's always nice to earn a bit of money)! The plan was that I would stay at his place in Freo until I finish the job. I couldn't have started straight away though, because I didn't have my gear on me, so I had to ask Bernadett (my CouchSurfing host in Melbourne) to send me my MacBook (which I had left at her place) over. In the meantime I was hanging around with Chris, Julian, Janneck and Philip (three german travelers staying at Chris' place too) and other Chris' friends, consuming massive amount of Coopers, exploring Fremantle and Perth etc. I also made a trip down south along the coast all the way to Albany and back with two CouchSurfers, Vanessa and Gun. I'm gonna describe the trip in the next post.

I thought it would take me around 2 weeks to complete the website but at the end I stayed in Freo for nearly 2 months. There was way too much distraction at Chris' place and I also enjoyed little bit of settling down for a moment as a contrast to hitching from place to place all the time.

So what did I do there apart from working on the website? I explored Fremantle


as well as Perth


admired local street art


got a new haircut


went to gigs


helped with cooking yummy vegan dinners


dressed up at crazy parties


as well as my friends Shola and Sarai


sailed the Swan River


enjoyed night Perth


had fun with Stella


couldn't get used to 35℃ at Christmas time, not speaking about the Aussie Christmas tree


and much more!

I finally managed to finish the work and decided to leave Perth at New Years Eve. At the end I really needed to get out of there cos I felt stuck and I also couldn't cope with the amount of alcohol and party time anymore. It was time to move on. I spent the midnight on the plane to Melbourne, which was alright because I slept almost all the time and therefore avoided pathetic plastic aircraft New Years celebration. Spent the rest of the night sleeping at the Melbourne airport, caught up with Bernadett the next day and then flew over to Hobart.

Fremantle is a beautiful little town (one of the prettiest in Australia), alternative, cultural and lively, definitely a cool place to be. Perth is yet another big city, but I must say I quite like it - especially the area around Swan River. It has also gorgeous beaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment