Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Adelaide

I'd found a CouchSurfing host for my stay in Adelaide a couple of days before I arrived here. Her name is Min, she's a chef (very handy) and she lives with three other young people, all musicians. Oh and there are also two lovely cats in the house! The house is just a minute walk from the beach. So it's all perfect. Moreover there is another couch surfer staying in the house, Victor. He's a Dutch guy, hehe. The funny thing is that I already was in contact with him back in Melbourne when we both planned to go to Adelaide through Great Ocean Road. It didn't work out due to different timing but funny is that we eventually ended up in the same house.




I spent my week here mostly with wandering in the CBD, running on the beach, answering emails, planning my next steps, drinking, eating, going to concerts with my hosts etc.



Yesterday (tue, 6/10/2009), I went to Victor Harbour with Victor :-) and James (one of my hosts), it was lovely trip - we walked around Granite Island (where we saw two seals, fairy pinguins and huge lizzards apparently called blue tongues), drank some nice local wine and even did a bit of bodyboarding, woohoo (although we were freezing so we couldn't stay in the water too long)! At the beach we also saw a whale (unfortunately it was quite far)! After the trip I made some czech bramboraky (potato pancakes) for dinner and got wasted with cider...



As for Adelaide itself, there is not many things to see here, although it has pretty good location - between nice hills and the sea, in the area of famous wineries.





I'm leaving tomorrow, I want to hitch to Port Augusta and a bit further to Flinders Range, do some bush walking there for a couple of days and then hitch to Coober Pedy, probably spend a night there and after that hitch to Uluru and Alice Springs.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Adelaide, My home town! And what nothing much to see :>. You are quite right. There is lovely scenery but Adelaide itself is really a country town. Please do not tell them.
    Quite curious as to which beach you are staying at with your couch. you are really lucky that you saw the seals etc at Victor Harbor. I went there 2 years ago same time with my hubbie and did not see a thing. Went down memory lane as it is a childhood place we always went to to see pinguins, seals etc and only saw at lot of gulls and wind:>. Well two whale spouts in the far distance.
    Sounds like you are having a great time and the future plans sound tremendous!
    Am still sooo jealous!
    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo-Ann! Great to hear from you again! You were curious about the place where I stayed, so it was at the Seacliff. The beach there is pretty nice and perfect for jogging! :-) Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lukas,
    I Happen to know Seacliff well. Used to go there as a girl quite often as friends lived there! Ideal place indeed for jogging. Lovely beaches. Sounds like you are really having a good time. Guess by now you are on your way up to Alice. Have fun!
    p.s. did you get round to visit any wineries and have some nice tasting?
    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lukas! I hadn't checked your blog for awhile but I've just read all your posts so far, sounds like you're having a great time! Best wishes for the next part of your journey - the Red Centre will be an incredible place to see. Keep in touch!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete